As the cooling season approaches in Western New York, it’s important to ensure your air conditioning system is ready to handle the warmer weather. To avoid any unexpected breakdowns on hot days, we recommend following these 10 tips:
1. Clean or replace your air conditioning filter: A dirty or clogged filter can restrict airflow and reduce the efficiency of your air conditioning system. Clean or replace your filter at least once a month during the cooling season to keep your AC running smoothly.
2. Seal air leaks: Check for air leaks around doors, windows, and other areas where air can escape. Use weather stripping, caulking, or foam insulation to seal these areas and keep cool air inside.
3. Insulate your attic: Proper attic insulation can help keep your home cooler by preventing heat from entering your living space. Consider adding additional insulation to your attic if it is not already well-insulated.
4. Use ceiling fans: Ceiling fans can help circulate cool air throughout your home, reducing the workload on your air conditioning system. Make sure your ceiling fans are set to rotate counterclockwise in the summer.
5. Install window coverings: Window coverings such as shades, blinds, or curtains can help block out the sun’s heat and keep your home cooler. Close your window coverings during the hottest part of the day to keep your home comfortable.
6. Program your thermostat: Set your thermostat to a higher temperature when you are not home or during the night to save energy and reduce your cooling costs. Consider investing in a programmable thermostat that can automatically adjust the temperature based on your schedule.
7. Check your air ducts: Leaky air ducts can waste energy and reduce the efficiency of your air conditioning system. Have your air ducts inspected and sealed by a professional if needed.
8. Install a whole-house fan: A whole-house fan can help cool your home by pulling in cool air from outside and expelling hot air through the attic. Consider installing a whole-house fan if you live in a moderate climate.
9. Maintain your outdoor unit: Keep your outdoor air conditioning unit clear of debris and vegetation to ensure proper airflow. Schedule annual maintenance with a professional to keep your system running smoothly.
10. Consider upgrading your air conditioning system: If your air conditioning system is old or inefficient, upgrading to a newer, more energy-efficient model can help you save money on your cooling costs in the long run.
At John Lock Air Conditioning & Heating, we offer fast, reliable, and effective service to keep your air conditioning system running smoothly all summer long. Contact us today at [Link to contact] or call 716-894-6400 to schedule maintenance for your home’s AC unit.