July is peak summer season, and the days and nights can be very hot. If your air conditioning unit is not running efficiently, your home environment will become stuffy and congested, making it an uncomfortable to relax, and cause restlessness at night. At John Lock Air Conditioning & Heating, we want to ensure you are living and sleeping comfortably all summer long. Continue reading for the best tips and practices to keep your home cool, despite the hot temperatures.
- Use blinds, curtains, or shades: Close your curtains or blinds during the day to block out the direct sunlight and prevent heat from entering your home. Opt for light-colored window coverings to reflect heat away.
- Utilize fans strategically: Place fans near windows to create a cross breeze and promote better air circulation. You can also set up portable fans throughout your home to keep the air moving. Consider investing in ceiling fans for long-term cooling benefits.
- Optimize your air conditioning: Regularly clean or replace air filters to ensure your air conditioner operates efficiently. Set the thermostat at a comfortable temperature and avoid drastic temperature changes. Consider using a programmable thermostat to adjust the settings automatically.
- Seal air leaks: Inspect your home for any cracks or gaps that allow warm air to enter and cool air to escape. Seal these leaks with weatherstripping or caulk to enhance your home’s insulation.
- Limit heat sources: Appliances such as ovens, dryers, and dishwashers generate heat. Minimize their usage during the hottest parts of the day, or consider using them in the evening when temperatures are lower.
- Create shade: Install awnings or plant trees and shrubs strategically to provide shade around your home. This helps reduce the amount of heat that reaches your windows and walls.
- Opt for energy-efficient lighting: Traditional incandescent bulbs generate a significant amount of heat. Switch to energy-efficient LED bulbs, which produce less heat and consume less electricity.
- Stay hydrated and dress appropriately: Drink plenty of water to stay cool from the inside out. Opt for lightweight and breathable clothing made from natural fibers like cotton or linen.
At John Lock Air Conditioner & Heating, we want to ensure your living comfortably and cool this summer. If you are in need of a repair or replacement, we would love to help you. Call us today at 716-894-6400 or contact us today.