By the way this winter has been going, it’s best to expect the unexpected. The blizzard of 2022 in Buffalo, NY was classified as a generational storm. This epic storm was like nothing we have ever seen before. Families lost their loved ones, homes lost heat and electricity, people were without food, and businesses suffered severe damages.
We hope a storm to this degree never occurs again, but with Western New York weather, nothing is certain. If another severe storm comes our way, it’s important to be prepared and know how to stay safe in dangerous conditions. Follow these 10 tips below.
- Inspect HVAC system – When gusts of cold wind and below zero degree weather hits, it is dangerous for you to be staying in a home without heat. If you have not had your HVAC system inspected this winter, be sure to schedule an appointment ASAP. Our skilled technicians can help you check and tune up your home’s heating system, change furnace filters, and make sure the thermostat is working correctly.
- Inspect and clean the chimney – In the case your power goes out, a chimney will ensure you have a backup source of hearing. A wood-burning fireplace should be inspected and cleaned by a professional chimney sweep every year. Cleaning is done to remove creosote, which is a tar-like buildup that can be a fire hazard.
- Test Safety Devices – Be sure to test that your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide devices are working properly. For more information on how to test devices and ensure your home is properly equipped with both of these devices, read our blog here.
- Weatherproof your home – Caulking and weatherstripping windows and doors will help seal out the cold, retain heat, and prevent drafts. Also – be sure to check that your attic is properly insulated, as attics with poor insulation may face snow seeping in through the cracks. This can cause flooding and leaks throughout your home.
- Insulate pipes – Pipes exposed to outdoor weather can freeze and burst at temperatures below 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare for High Winds – High winds are frequent in Western New York winters, and can be quite damaging. In order to prepare your home for high winds, it’s important to remove tree branches near the house to the best of your ability. Also, be sure to put away patio furniture, and keep wind and water our of the chimney by getting a chimney cap installed.
- Stock up on Food – Before a storm hits, its important to get to the grocery store and stock up on food, water, and supplies.
- Home Generator – John Lock Air Conditioning & Heating Service Inc. is a trusted provider of home generators in Western NY. Whether you’re looking for an integrated standby generator or a generator to manually run as needed, we can help you protect your family from an unexpected loss of power. Click here to learn more here.
- Invest in a snow blower – When storms hit, snow removal and plow services work tirelessly to reach and dig out as many homes as quickly as possible. However, with so many places and people to get to, it’s not easy to reach everyone as fast as they’d like. Investing in a snow blower is a worthy investment, as it will efficiently help you dig out your driveway and help neighbors in need.
- 10. Check on your vehicle – In freezing temperatures, car batteries can quickly die. Be sure to frequently check on your car and restart it often. Also, check your car tires to make sure they have enough air.
If your family is without heat in a winter storm, John Lock Air Conditioning & Heating Services can help. Our crew works around the clock, providing emergency service 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. For more information, reach out to our office today at 716-894-6400.